Geotechnical studies and design are a fundamental component of many of our clients’ projects. The primary goal of geotechnical work is to ensure the stability and integrity of structures formed in, on or of geological materials. Our geotechnical services team commissions and undertakes investigations and detailed assessments to achieve this goal. This work minimises any associated short to long term geotechnical risks.
In order to provide relevant services we work closely with our client’s team to define suitable ground investigation and laboratory testing programmes. Additionally, we have an extensive range of software that provides the ability to undertake analyses of:
- Slope stability
- Rockfall risk
- Flowslide behaviour following slope failure
- Ground deformations resulting from excavation and/or loading
- Groundwater response to excavation and/or loading
- Groundwater response to surface infiltration
Our geotechnical services team is able to offer assessment and design solutions in all of the traditional areas of geotechnical engineering. The team works closely with clients or other technical teams within the company to define ground investigation programs according to the specific project requirements. The information gathered is then used to undertake the analyses to support or develop the design proposals. Assessments are carried out in the following areas:
- Soil and rock slope stability
- Reinforced earth and ground support
- Retaining walls
- Remediation design for failed or dangerous slopes
- Ground subsidence
- Ground deformation and structure response
Geotechnical Risk Assessment
ADE has built up considerable experience in projects where the assessment of geotechnical risk is a key consideration. The assessment of risk is generally required when unfavourable geotechnical conditions already exist (either naturally or as a result of human activity) and where these conditions could result in adverse operational, environmental or health and safety impacts. The risk assessment work is used to help clients define the most cost effective remedial actions required to reduce risk to accepted levels.
Geotechnical Engineering Risk Assessment is considered vital for companies where concerns exist in relation to potential liabilities and corporate social responsibility. It is also valuable in commercial properties and land valuations and transactions.
Geotechnical Laboratory Services
Our NATA accredited laboratory is able to conduct the following services:
Soil classification tests
- Determination of the liquid limit of a soil (four point Casagrande method)
- Determination of the liquid limit of a soil (one point Casagrande method – subsidiary method)
- Determination of the plastic limit of a soil
- Calculation of the plasticity index of a soil
- Determination of the particle size of a soil (sieving)
- Dispersion: Determination of Emerson class number of a soil
Soil chemical tests
- Determination of the pH value of a soil (electrometric method)
Soil compaction and density tests
- Determination of the dry density/moisture content relation of a soil using standard compactive effort
- Determination of the dry density/moisture content relation of a soil using modified compactive effort Determination of the dry density/moisture content relation of a soil – soil replacement method using a sand-cone pouring appartus
- Compaction control test – dry density ratio, moisture variation and moisture ratio
- Compaction control test – assignment of maximum dry density ratio and optimum moisture content values
- Compaction control test – Hilf density ratio and Hilf moisture variation (rapid method)
- Nuclear surface moisture-density gauges – calibration using standard blocks
Soil strength and consolidation tests
- Determination of the California Bearing Ratio of a soil – standard laboratory measure for a remoulded specimen
- Determination of the California Bearing Ratio of a soil – standard laboratory measure for an undisturbed specimen
- Determination of the California Bearing Ratio of a soil – standard field in place measure
- Determination of the penetration resistance of a soil – 9kg dynamic cone penetrometer test
Foreign material testing
All these tests are conducted in accordance with Australian Standard AS1289.0-2000.
ADE understands that each project is unique and comes with its own set of challenges and specifications. As such, we invite clients to contact us to discuss their geotechnical ventures with one of our geotechnical engineers.
Check Here for getting more information related to Laboratory Analysis – Soil Testing.
We also provide these services: